onsdag 7. mars 2012

english: the death penalty.



INDIVIDUAL WRITING TASKS

-         Which of these last words made most of an impression on you? Why? What do you think this person was feeling at that moment?

“I’m ready, Warden” and “I have come here today to die, not make speeches” really made an impression on me. I think “I’m ready, Warden” finally is going to get some peace of mind. I think he has accepted what his has done and realised that you can’t take it back, and that no matter how many times you apologize – it won’t make it right or go away. I believe he has found some acceptance of himself by this.

 “I have come here today to die, not make speeches” gives me an impression that he’s not happy about his sentence, but he as well has accepted it. It seems like he’s saying; “I’m doing what you’re forcing me to, but I’m not going to hold a speech in my own funeral.”

-         Death penalty – pros and cons. Make a list. Are you for or against the death penalty, personally? Explain.


-                     Pros
-                     cons
“saves” the society from another killer.
It is proved that it has a deterrent effect.
Cheaper way to “get rid of” dangerous people.
It is not human to kill another human.
You can’t kill everyone.
No way back.
Who has the right to decide when someone’s life is going to be taken?

I am against capital punishment, because I know that if it was me sitting on death row, I couldn’t bear it. What if I was innocent- and sentenced to die, for something I’ve never done. I don’t believe in taking an innocent man’s life.  Irrespectively of what a person has done, in what way should this person’s life be treated? I believe that there must be a different way than capital punishment. Convicts and other humans do not deserve to be cut over the same comb.
Is it really morally right to kill so other will stop if it is proven to work? Will it ever be “human” to murder a fellow human being, even though he/she is a murderer him/herself? I might not support the system of capital punishment, but other people do. And I cannot say I am all against it ether. It is a safe way to “get rid of” dangerous people, but is it worth taking the risk of killing a possible innocent man or women? For what can ever make up for the suffering of an innocent life?

-         What is another word (synonym) used in the text for the death penalty?
Capital punishment.
-         How many states in the US have a law permitting the death penalty and what percentage of the total number of US states does this represent?
Thirty five states, but it’s only practiced in half of them. 35/52= 67,3 %
-                            - Which method is used as the primary form of execution?
Lethal injection.
-                           -What are some of the arguments mentioned that support capital  punishment?
An eye for an eye from the Bible, capital punishment deters crime, capital punishment keeps offenders from returning to society and committing new crime, it is cheaper because keeping criminals in prison is expensive. 

-         What are the arguments expressing opposition?
Innocent inmates can be executed before they have a chance to prove their innocence, statistics which show that capital punishment is not a deterrent and is more expensive than life in prison.

-         Why are many of the prisoners on death row black?
Due to blacks’ poor economic state they cannot hire a good attorney, and they may also face prejudiced juries.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar